Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Teacher's Pet?

When I was in school back in Jerome, ID...I didn't try very hard to make friends let alone make good grades. I was very quiet, softspoken, and shy. I kept to myself, I think I had a handful of friends. People barely remembered me after school. When I go back to visit or see people that I know, it's like I'm a completely different person. I decided to go back to school this year at age 33 ::gulp:: to finish my Associates degree and maybe even go on to get my Master's degree in Human Resources Management and Spanish.

Call me a complete dork/overachiever/teacher's pet but I am all about school these days! It could be because I am paying for it, which in turn is driving me to try harder, or it is in a field that I truly enjoy and want to have a career in, or maybe age has something to do with it.

Today in my Spanish class, I was being outspoken, cracking jokes and introducing myself to complete strangers in class. I even offered to help a girl with her assignment after class if she needed it; something I would have never done 15 years ago.

5 comments:

Lisabisa said...

That is so cute. I do think that when you are older you tend to see the advantage of working harder. I also think that paying for it.... for a long time.... is another reason. We want to get our penny's worth on each thing.

I so applaude you. I think that you will be the top of your class. After all your last name used to sound like class...tee hee. But it is strange to think of you as shy. Since I have known you, you have been so fun and outgoing.

I think you are going to love this, until the end when you are burned out and afraid of the total of you student loans. Oh wait that was me... not you. You are a super star.

Sandi said...

I know exactly how you feel. It is so much easier for me to strike up a conversation now than it did in high school. I think that it is because I don't care what people think like I used to. Good luck with your new endeavor.

Sarah said...

Heather I totally remember you as an outgoing person in High School. Remember our trip to meet the govenor? Good times. I have a picture somewhere I will have to post it.

Orice said...

I've always seen you as an accomplished, bright and artistic being. What is astounding is that you're only now opening you eyes to see. . .and accept how wonderful you always have been. . .already are. . .always will be. Enjoy learning!

Selené Emrys said...

Girl, it's never too late! So fun to see how we change as we age-much of it for the better, as we leave our insecurities behind and embrace ourselves for who we are. Go girl!