I have been feeling unsettled lately. I am ready to adopt, but for some reason, something keeps holding me back. I don't know what it is, I finally sat down and just thought about it. I am scared of the unknown. I know a couple of people who have adopted, but it's not something that you know the ins and outs of. I realized that I have a control issue and I have to let it go.
Jason and I were invited to our Adoption Agency's annual picnic on Saturday. Adoptive families bring their kids to this great water park, they have a magic show for the kids, food, games, face painting, it was a lot of fun! It was there that I saw the diversity of kids who went to great homes and how everyone is so accepting. While watching those kids interact with their parents and siblings, I knew right there that I wanted that for Jason and I.
I'm not afraid of adopting a child, I'm afraid of what I don't know. Which is silly because, nobody knows anything for sure. I have just let go and decided that this journey is what we have chosen for our family and if it's meant to to work out, it will. If not, we'll be shown another outlet.
We are excited about this journey, of course scared of what we don't know, but most of all, the anticipation of what's to come.
4 comments:
Heather, I love your honestly. I was thinking about how before I was a Mom, I had no clue about raising kids. I mean, really. I spent loads of time babysitting for neighbors as a kid and worked at a daycare. And I read lots of books on parenting. And I had all these ideas of what being a Mom would be like. But, I don't think anyone knows what truly being a parent and having a child is like until you do it. That being said, I can totally understand your fear of the unknown. It's something we all struggle with in various areas of our lives. But I pray God will bless you and your family for opening your heart and home to a child who needs a family.
Thanks Sharon, it helps getting it out, and hearing feedback that nobody really knows what to expect. We're on an uncharted journey with our family! Thank you for the prayers!
I just found your blog...yahoo!! Excited to see you are thinking of adopting. I've had several friends have wonderful experiences that have forever blessed their lives. Best of luck to you!
Hi Rachelle! I love your blog, your kids are absolutely adorable, you are a fantastic mom! I hope you're adusting to the upcoming school year. :)
Post a Comment